[Asterisk-Users] Re: Voicemail and MS Exchange Synchronization

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Fri Jun 10 16:16:46 MST 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:06:39PM -0400, Iassen Hristov wrote:

> > IMAP vs. Exchange
> > I would be very weary of using IMAP against an Exchange Server. I have
> > not touch it for years but IMAP and Exchange did not play together
> > really well back then.
> > Has anyone actually used real IMAP to talk to an Exchange server from a
> > Linux client lately?
> > If your Linux client can play nice then IMAP with exchange might work.
> I entirely disagree.
> I have been using Mulberry (including the Linux version) with an Exchange
> server for years without a hint of a problem. Actually I would say
> everybody else in the company (using Outlook) has had problems, not me with
> Mulberry.
> The IMAP implementation of Exchange is fine AFAIK. I seriously doubt that a
> Linux client implementation will not work properly.

In earlier versions of Exchange there were some oddities (remember it
was based on an X.400 mail system) and IMAP was "bolted on". I believe
the IMAP mailstore actually synced itself with the X.400 internals every
now and again.

In later versions that has changed completely, and MS actually do a
pretty reasonable version of an IMAP server.

Of course you don't get all the "sexy" features that you do with MAPI,
but then I'd guess most people never really use them (something like
80/20 rule).

Steve

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype / In  stevekennedyuk / UK +442088167166 / US +13106518226