[Asterisk-Users] ATTN: Keith - Seriously OT

Neal Walton asterisk at letourneau-ss.com
Fri Jun 10 06:55:03 MST 2005

On Friday, June 10, 2005 3:16 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith
[SMTP:akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com] wrote:
> On Friday 10 June 2005 04:08, Terry H. Gilsenan wrote:
> >  ([64.18.4.10]) with SMTP; Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:29:16 PDT
> >
> > Your MTA claimed it was called "SOURCE" but rDNS tells the recipient MX
> > that it is called: "mail.linuxautrement.com"
>
> I too will block emails with a non-FQDN HELO or EHLO.  I feel, however,
that
> reverse should not have to match forward lookups for mail exchangers.
 It's
> an assinine requirement (my box does web, mail, dns and a host of other
> services, why should I need it to be called 'mail' for both forward and
> reverse lookups just to get mail flowing?  Assinine.
>
> -A.

Your server does not have to be called 'mail' for DNS and rDNS to work
properly for mail delivery.  All that is required is that a reverse lookup
returns whatever the actual name of the server is and the server needs to
use that same name when it issues HELO.  My server at home is called 'fs-1'
and the one at work is 'troutdale'.  Both systems work properly just
because I set up the DNS and rDNS records to match the names of the
servers.  There are a lot of broken rDNS records on the internet, and
that's not likely to change anytime soon.  I only have control of a very
tiny portion of DNS and rDNS space, but I still feel obligated to make my
part work properly.  It's what makes the internet work.  Would you feel OK
driving around in your car, knowing that some large percentage of the
street signs were not correct?