[Asterisk-Users] Handytone-488 FXO - PSTN in calls to Asterisk, sip.conf? (fwd)

Albert Lash alby at thirteen.net
Fri Jun 10 04:47:45 MST 2005

For some reason, this didn't go through the first time, maybe because I
had JUST signed up.

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Asterisk and my Handytone 488 to pass incoming
calls coming over PSTN through the FXO port to Asterisk, which will
process the calls with voicemail, or some such service.

I point the Handytone 488 FXO port configuration to 192.168.0.2 (the
machine that is running Asterisk) and have configured a catchall extension
to receive the call:

[from-pstn]
exten => s,1,Playback(outputfile,noanswer)

And an SIP client:
; This is the actual phone - FXS
[997]
port=5061
host=192.168.0.5
type=friend
context=Powermac
disallow=all
;allow=ulaw
;allow=alaw
allow=ilbc
allow=gsm
; This is the phone line - FXO
[997b]
port=5062
host=192.168.0.5
type=friend
context=Powermac
disallow=all
;allow=ulaw
;allow=alaw
allow=ilbc
allow=gsm

However, when I call the PSTN number, asterisk -cvvvvvvd reports nothing
when the phone rings.

A couple of facts:
1. The FXS port is configured fine to route through asterisk to a iax2
terminator. Its awesome! Can't wait to need more lines. :-)
2. Softphone calls to the FXO port ring OK, and can get picked up by
asterisk.
3. The 488 is a Lan client of an Apple Airport router, meaning the WAN
port on the 488 is connected to the Asterisk server. The LAN port on the
488 is not used. I've found the router part of the unit to be VERY
finicky.

Questions:
1. Does the FXO port need to register with Asterisk?
2. Does Asterisk need to register with the FSO port? (I have no experience
with registering, though I did get an incoming call through IPkall through
to FWD to XLite)
3. With regard to parenthetic comment - I was unable to get that incoming
call (or register with FWD) to work while behind my Airport router. Could
this router also be blocking the FXO port from communicating with
Asterisk?

Thanks, Asterisk is AMAZING!