[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail and MS Exchange Synchronization

Chris Coulthurst asterisk at shuksan.com
Thu Jun 9 22:34:53 MST 2005

Just to put my two cents in..

Whatever the solution for integration with Outlook, I don't think any of the
voicemail should be downloaded via IMAP, POP or any other mail protocol.  I
also think that it should be possible to playback the voicemail in outlook
with a suitable plugin.  So, it would seem that a method be implemented to
allow an authenticated user to check them directly from the .wav-stored
location, or the like, so you could fast forward, rewind, etc.

Where I like the idea of using the telephone for the voicemail at all is, if
you decide to return the call or leave a message for someone else's mailbox,
a TAPI client could initiate the station phone to ring, user picks it up and
the call goes out the door.

ShoreTel does something similar to this with their system; while the
voicemail appears to be downloaded by Outlook, it is merely being displayed
within the Outlook GUI, and is really only retrieved when selected (like
IMAP does, but without the IMAP part).

Seems to me that writing macros, plugins, etc. for Outlook is rather easy
form Visual Basic.  My brother is an extremely capable VB programmer, and I
think if the asterisk community were to adopt a more-or-less standard way of
binding to his Outlook app, we could make something that worked pretty good
and be portable to other programs other than Outlook.

I'm thinking of an API on the asterisk server that would complement the best
features of the manager api, the CLI and direct shell access to voicemail
directories and the like.

Chris Coulthurst
chris at shuksan.com