[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail and MS Exchange

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 15:39:43 MST 2005

>From my perspective, not sure I would want Exchange (Which is difficult
> enough to manage) to be cluttered up with potentially large voicemail files,
> I would have thought that most Exchange clients are most likely to be
> Outlook based, who could use pst & Imap (Or pop3 if asterisk could auto
> forward and then delete voice mail) to retrieve voicemail via email without
> having to worry about central Exchange issues. Might be my lack of knowledge
> but this would appear to be able to be written as a mapi outlook add in that
> could update Asterisk to purge voice mail at the same time the user deletes
> the local copy? Based on the assumption on Imap? I would support a bounty
> either way that offered this feature.
> Magnus

I don't think that the solution should be based for Outlook when used
as a pop3 or imap client (although it could work with imap as well).
That would make make it very complicated besides for the fact that it
will require that every client has a program that has access to the
asterisk box to delete the vm. It should rather be done for Outlook as
an Exchange client and not as when in stand alone. The way these
things usualy get done is that an exchange/outlook form is created and
published to the exchange organization, the form is coded to contact
either an exchange connector, or using server side scripting that if
when deleted the SERVER not the client, notfies the asterisk box about
it. When asterisk sends the message to Exchange it will then have to
either: Tell Exchange to use the form we want, or again use the
connector to email the vm.