[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail and MS Exchange Synchronization

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Thu Jun 9 10:38:49 MST 2005

{clip}

> (a) Has anyone cracked this nut (or started on it)?

I'm not aware of any proof of concept code, but I understand the discussion to be in the direction of changing app_voicemail to use a maildir directory format, thereby allowing the voicemail to be easily exposed and accessed by a third party unix mail server program that is unaware of Asterisk (eg. Cyrus IMAP).

Actually getting it synced directly into your Exchange server backend seems far more challenging. We had been eagerly looking forward to an IMAP access method, hence being able to add an IMAP account to Outlook on our workstations and accessing voicemail that way (some people use the vm-as-attachment with the Delete option at the moment, others just get new vm notices).

If you're looking at a large deployment client side integration would quickly become a maintenance nightmare... Do you have any pointers as to how the backend Exchange integration process actually works?

Kris Boutilier
Information Systems Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District