[Asterisk-Users] Digium G729 licensing - is it worth the trouble?

Robert Goodyear me at jrob.net
Tue Jun 7 00:39:42 MST 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:

> Digium did acquiesce and allow me to relicense the codec today,
> essentially
> they asked me how any times I would like to be able to re-license,

I hope you answered, "As many times as is necessary to ensure I'm
continually able to contribute to the livelihood and viability of the
Asterisk community by being a user/developer/contributor of Asterisk
and a supporter of your paid add-on sub-product by _honestly_ licensing
something I could circumvent with a two-second Google search."

Seriously. Even big, scary Microsoft lets users pick up the phone and
explain a reinstall circumstance to unlock a lockout. And they're not
even dealing with an open-source community who are constantly tweaking,
adapting, modifying, recompiling, rotating out hardware ad infinitum ad
nauseum to help make Asterisk the best product in its class.

/rg