[Asterisk-Users] OT: Please comment on Dvorak's troll

Michael Stearne mstearne at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 16:35:15 MST 2005

On 6/6/05, Colin Anderson <ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com> wrote:
> I'm just wondering if anyone in the community has considered "what if" and
> what would be a meaningful response, either technologically, legally, or
> socially. Encryption comes to mind. Also, Dundi's RFC perhaps addresses some
> of these issues by obsfucating centralized directories and might be modified
> to encompass port number in order to force "bad" ISP's play wack-a-port.

I was just reading in Wired  a Lawrence Lessig piece about the same
thing.  He was saying that a phone company lost a decision because
they were blocking a port that was being used for VoIP.  I believe the
basic decision was that the FCC ruled that network providers can't
restrict users because they are competing with them.  If they want to
be a network provider they have to be more neutral.  I can't find it
on the web but I'll try to reread the article.

Michael