[Asterisk-Users] OT: Please comment on Dvorak's troll

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Jun 6 14:03:49 MST 2005

The Slashdot guys are choked 'cause he was right about Intel and the Macs.
While I agree he sensationalizes I was looking for opinions on whether there
might be something to this ISP/ILEC attempt to control VoIP traffic. It's of
concern to me, since I have rolled out a substantial portion of our
company's PSTN traffic over the public Internet, and I am in Canada, where
everything is legislated and legislation is largely determined by lobbyists.
My default argument against any regulation is that I would not comply simply
because my company's VoIP traffic is tantamount to traffic on our internal
PBX and we can do whatever we want with it. However, I don't want to have to
be forced into doing something goofy like running IAX over port 80 because
some upstream provider is looking for a revenue grab.

I'm just wondering if anyone in the community has considered "what if" and
what would be a meaningful response, either technologically, legally, or
socially. Encryption comes to mind. Also, Dundi's RFC perhaps addresses some
of these issues by obsfucating centralized directories and might be modified
to encompass port number in order to force "bad" ISP's play wack-a-port.

Just musing.