[Asterisk-Users] Digium G729 licensing - is it worth the trouble?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Jun 5 16:55:24 MST 2005

Gavin Hamill wrote:

>On Sunday 05 June 2005 16:31, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
>

>>I have purchased 50 licenses at $10 each from Digium,
>>

>Cool, so you have satisfied yourself that you are licensed to use the G.729
>codec and not get your ass sued by the IP holders. Now you can simply use the
>no-license-required codecs from here...
>
>http://kvin.lv/pub/Linux/Asterisk/

This has come up before. You are actually licenced to use only the
particular implementation you were supplied with. The G.729 IP holders
do actually object to your using another implementation. I guess they
feel they will loose control. Whatever their reasons, they do actually
object.

>I'm probably massively over-simplifying the problem.. but I see this as the
>same problem as having installed the same MS Office 2000 CD + key on 50 PCs,
>but as long as you have 50 unique certificates of authenticity for Office
>2000, it doesn't matter a crap (in the real world) what actual key got used
>on each PC.

If you get audited you will find it does. Dumb, but true. I guess the
heavies they send around for these things need an ultra simplistic
auditing practice to follow.

Regards,
Steve