[Asterisk-Users] zap to zap bridging not hanging up

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Jun 5 05:21:23 MST 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 01:37, Master Abi wrote:
> I am trying to develop a night divert. Caller dials in after hours on
> Zap and it gets divert to a mobile number via a second Zap. The call
> bridges but will not hangup the channels when the parties finish.

Since you give us no information whatsoever about your hardware (what FXO
device, the name of the PSTN, the version of Asterisk, I'm just shooting in
the dark here.

I'm willing to bet that you're either using a channel bank without CPD, you've
told Asterisk that your Zap channel is not fxs_ks or you're on a phone
network that does not provide CPD.  Unless your Zap channel is set to fxs_ks,
Asterisk won't detect the battery polarity reversal (or drop) and thus has no
way of knowing when the line has been hung up.

BT doesn't seem to provide it and there are a few others that don't either.

There is no real way around this because the phone network does NOT let you
know when someone hangs up.  And no, this is NOT a bug, unless you consider
it the telephone network's bug.

busydetect is a workaround but it has its own unique set of problems (false
positives).

In short, if you've got your Zap device set to fxs_ks and your PSTN is
providing CPD, you can either use AbsoluteTimeout(), try your luck with
busydetect or try to get the telco to give you CPD.

-A.