[Asterisk-Users] Pricing for DS3000P

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jun 4 04:26:17 MST 2005

> GigE ports and switches are cheap,   Converting DS0's (PCM) into g.
> 711 is a trivial task, mostly just moving bits.  little of no 'DSP'
> work needed.  The cheapest processor today can keep up with 45mbps
> full duplex.  So, you eat up the DS3 into a machine and spit out 672
> g.711 streams to a GigE switch.  Sacrifice bandwidth but that is
> cheap on the LAN.  Then you can have the calls go to other Asterisk
> boxes which will transcode to other codecs as needed.
>
> Ideally I would love to see this in a cPCI form factor
>
> -Matt

Yeah but the extra boxes and higher capacity LAN cost something, so it
drives the total cost up vs 1 box, but as I stated (or thought I did
anyway) if you are doing DS3 stuff you would want redundancy and other
features of distributed networking.

I personally would like to see it in a PCCARD form factor like the dual
DS1 card from odin technologies but somehow I think my ipaq would melt
trying to keep up if it were doing more than pushing bits :)
http://www.odints.com/pages/solution/ppc/ppcfs.htm

Would make a handy test tool to have a DS3 into a pda!

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378