[Asterisk-Users] Pricing for DS3000P

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sat Jun 4 04:11:05 MST 2005

> I am curious on cpu load, if all dsp functions are done via software
> instead of offloaded onto a specialized processor (DSP board) that has
> to have some effect on call processing, meaning a more beefy
> machine to
> handle the load, and the real possiblity of not having a single
> board do
> everything (application, media gateway, VoIP, etc).  While it makes
> sense on that type of a system (high capacity) to spread it out for
> load
> balancing and redundancy and all that stuff that gives you a warm
> fuzzy
> feeling, it may now be more of a requirement.

GigE ports and switches are cheap,   Converting DS0's (PCM) into g.
711 is a trivial task, mostly just moving bits.  little of no 'DSP'
work needed.  The cheapest processor today can keep up with 45mbps
full duplex.  So, you eat up the DS3 into a machine and spit out 672
g.711 streams to a GigE switch.  Sacrifice bandwidth but that is
cheap on the LAN.  Then you can have the calls go to other Asterisk
boxes which will transcode to other codecs as needed.

Ideally I would love to see this in a cPCI form factor

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President