[Asterisk-Users] voip provider request

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Fri Jun 3 09:57:33 MST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 10:14:58AM -0500, Jay Milk wrote:

> Ahhh... Sneaky.  Because of the special billing agreements on NCFA
> numbers, there's bound to be a lower limit to how these calls are
> priced.  I doubt BT gives sipgate (or any other VOIP provider) a
> signigicant discount on these calls.  If you can reasonably expect that
> there are a lot of other sipgate/uk users being called, I'd go with
> them, as those calls are free after all.

The rates BT can charge are set by Ofcom (the UK telecoms/media
regulator).

There are 5600 Digital Local Exchanges (DLEs) in the UK, and to get
single or dual tandem access you need to connect to around 770 of them.
BT are regulated (as they have SMP [significan market power]) on how
much they can charge for the single or dual tandem hop.

Non-geographic numbers are usually mapped to geographic numbers (or
virtually via an IN platform). 0845 numbers generally do not generate
revenue (on ingress), 0870 numbers do (0870 are max 10p per minute, but
not classified as premium rate).

There are a few altnets who have connected to around the 770 DLEs and
these include THUS, C&W, probably Energis and maybe Carphone Warehouse
(TalkTalk brand). Most others are either using these, or directly
connecting to BT and paying too much money ;)

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype / In  stevekennedyuk / UK +442088167166 / US +13106518226