[Asterisk-Users] SIP or IAX

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jun 1 23:55:59 MST 2005

Sandeep A.S wrote:

> For bridging  VOIP with  PSTN Lines
> Which one is giving better performance  SIP or IAX ?
> I am looking at a result without NAT in picture ?
> Can some body give details from experiance ?

I can't say anything based on experience, but guessing that IAX2
trunking will improve performance.

VoIP "performance" is hard to define - it depends on your network, the
network design, the processor, the hardware of your system and so many
different factors. And when it comes to the bridging, I guess it's more
about the codecs you use on the VoIP side than the protocol.

There are some papers on IAX2 and codecs written by John Todd on the
wiki, very good ones.

> Also with single SIP/IAX channel can I use more than one call at a time ?

Well, there's really no "channel" notion in VoIP. You set up a relation
and place as many calls as you want as long as you have bandwidth. In
Asterisk SIP, you can limit the amount of concurrent calls.

Anyone else with performance experience, thoughts, suggestions?

/Olle

----
Astricon - the Asterisk User's conference - Madrid June 15-17
http://www.astricon.net/europe/ - Register today!