[Asterisk-Users] voice-coloring with asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Jun 1 16:56:43 MST 2005

Script Head wrote:

>I was pondering of the best way to implement voice-coloring within
>Asterisk, e.g. pass a channel thru a multiband equalizer and modify it
>enough where it could be distinguished from other voices in a
>conference call. This could make conference calls much less confusing.
>
>Perhaps the easiest way would be to use sox as the equalizer but I am
>not familiar enough with * to know how to put a channel thru sox.
>Anyone?

All this would achieve is to make the people harder to understand. If
they are sounding too alike, you are probably using a low bit rate
codec. G.723.1 is widely used for video conferencing, and it makes
everyone sound almost the same. I find it really unsuitable for
conferencing use. G.729 is better, but all low bit rate codecs loose
some of the character of the voice. Adjusting the spectral content
before compression simply degrades the quality.

Regards,
Steve