[Asterisk-Users] RFC2833 & firewall problems? (16-byte UDP packets)

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan at nextalarm.com
Wed Jun 1 13:03:30 MST 2005

We are tracking the following situation:

SIP client connects to our Asterisk server, and then connects to another
SIP user. Re-invite is OFF, so Asterisk is in the middle of the whole
conversation.

When one SIP client sends DTMF tones, the SIP client uses RFC2833 to
send the tones to the server. (This is correct). The server then sends
RFC2833 tones out to the other SIP client.

The problem is, the other SIP client is never receiving the RFC2833
packets. An ethereal trace on the same local network shows that the
regular conversation UDP packets are coming through just fine (packet
length: 172), but the RFC2833 packets are never received on the SIP
client LAN (though they are sent by the server). RFC2833 UDP packets
appear to be packet length: 16.

Has anyone seeing this kind of behavior, perhaps from firewalls or
otherwise?