[Asterisk-Users] pbx -> fiber -> network media converter -> wifi -> network media converter -> fiber -> pbx ???

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jun 1 04:34:41 MST 2005

> Please forgive the (almost?) OT post.  (and the fact that I need a clue-bat)
>
> We've got a situation at one of our sites where a construction crew is
> likely to dig up our conduit which houses some data fiber and one pair
> of fiber used to tie a Definity 3gsi at a small office building to the
> rest of the phone system (school district).  We're using a pair of
> Aeronets to the data network stays up, but haven't decided how to keep
> the phone system up yet.
>
> I wonder if it is possible to bridge what I guess it a telco t1 via
> fiber over wireless using standard media converters like we use for data
> networks?  We're able to dedicate a set of radios to this if needed.
>
> Anyone ever tried this or know the basics well enough to know that it
> (will|will not) work?
>
> Any thoughts on how a guy might use * to save the day without having to
> hack the Definity or get fiber in and out of a * box on each end?

Yes, you can use wireless to accomplish this. However, the aeronet won't
be able to accomplish this without something to convert the datastream
into IP-based dataflows (eg, two asterisk boxes with iax between).

There are wireless boxes that will operate at 70 megabits/sec and will
accept T1 interfaces, but those typically are in the $15k - $20k range.

If you can estimate the true number of simultanous calls expected across
the facility, using an asterisk box at both ends (each with a T1 card
interfacing to the respective phone equipment) "might" work across the
aeronets. If you really had 24 simultanous conversations going on, the
likelihood of the aeronets providing acceptable service will be very
low. The exact number of simultanous conversations will be 100% dependent
on the codec used between the asterisk boxes, the quality of the signal
between the aeronets, and the stability (including jitter) of the end-
to-end wireless link.