[Asterisk-Users] Question about Nextone softswitch

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Wed Jul 27 15:02:08 MST 2005

[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of >
PROTANUSA at aol.com
> Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:05 PM
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Question about Nextone softswitch
>

> As an example....if we have a call that:
> originates via PSTN line to one of our local DID's in Seattle
> comes into our Asterisk server in Los Angeles or Denver
> is routed by Asterisk for termination back to a different Seattle PSTN
> ....and if our VOIP call termination provider requires (in order to
get their best rate) all calls to go through their > > Nextone
softswitch in Dallas before ultimately terminating at the desired
Seattle PSTN line...

> What is the resulting affect as it relates to any difference in "user
experience" for the caller in Seattle....and what, > if any, is the cost
difference on our end due to the extra hop?

The extra trip around the country will add significantly to the latency
of the voice traffic, probably in the neighborhood of 120 milliseconds,
in your example. This is enough to cause problems for some callers.
Others (most, probably) won't even notice it. This assumes, of course,
that the call doesn't bounce around the IP network some more, after
you've sent it to your termination provider in Dallas.

As for the cost, assuming that you are paying to have both the
origination and termination legs transit your switch via VOIP anyway, I
don't see where any additional cost would be incurred by routing it to
Dallas.