[Asterisk-Users] To anyone seeking 911 Service Providers "stay away!!!"

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Tue Jul 26 06:00:57 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Monday 25 July 2005 23:26, BSUMRALLL at aol.com wrote:
>
>>Highly recommended to everyone to stay away from this issue
>>I do not have a name for the company right off hand, but they got sued
>>really bad when they tried 911 via VOIP and the 911 drop kept occurring in
>>different areas and someone died!

 From what I understand, was Vonage, and at
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip I remember seeing several posts
about it..as well as at NANOG mailing list.

> Need more data.  Right now you're just fear mongering.  Here in Canada it is
> required by law to have 911 service for your customers.

There where people saying this Vonage issue was all FUD, anyway, side
effect was...Seems this is 911 for VOIP is "FCC mandatory" now in USA ?
Not sure, I use * at my home and have DSL, so I just route my 911 to the
landline outbound, I would not expect the outbound IAX providers to
offer 911 to me :-)

>>Implement 1 single hard wire for this service and cover your tush!
> This is what I tell my customers as well, not because I can't do it but
> because they typically have the line there anyway for fax and/or security
> which carries the DSL circuit for VOIP.  :-)

 From what I understand, the big deal is with cable providers and naked
DSL providers, where you don't really have a 'landline' tied to your DSL  ?
Would be interesting to people involved in asterisk biz. to have a
summary of countries and their regulations on these issues, anyone know
if a summary like this is posted somewhere ?