[Asterisk-Users] Is soekris good?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Jul 22 09:13:28 MST 2005

Juraj Bednar wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I just got my Soekris 4801 box for use with Asterisk, but not as a
> primary Asterisk server.
>

>>* Asterisk at home (Is @home or regular better?)
>

>    If you want to run from CF, I recommend running some distribution
> (that does not take much space) and your own Asterisk... I'm not even
> sure if it be that easy to install Asterisk on Soekris in the first
> place.

	It should take less than five minutes:

	http://www.astlinux.org

>     I found documentation not being that good for installs, I found a
> wonderful page describing the install process:
> http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=22
>

>>* Shorwall firewall
>

>     Try to get a real firewall, Shorewall has quite high latency. You
> should optimize...

	Shorewall is an abstraction layer for iptables.  I don't know what you
mean by "real firewall" but iptables does the work here.  It most
certainly is a real firewall.  Shorewall probably has high latency
because it adds a lot of frivolous rules (just like every other firewall
utility of it's kind).

>>What is the CF size you are using? and how much is still free? What have
>>you installed?
>

>      For my setup I installed OpenBSD, although I primarily use Debian
> GNU/Linux. The OpenBSD choice was because of the vpn card for Soekris,
> which is better supported under OpenBSD. I installed the base package
> except games and manual pages, about 60MB was still free (I used 256MB
> compact flash card).

	You can use the flashboot script to generate a nice trimmed down
OpenBSD environment...

--
Kristian Kielhofner