[Asterisk-Users] Alternatives to Digium 729

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Wed Jul 20 11:47:30 MST 2005

Per my conversation below with digium, are there any legal alternatives
to digium's G729? It is out of date, and doesn't support VAD nor silence
detection.

Digium has stated that they have no plans to update it anytime soon.

VAD/Silence is a big deal with major carriers and we are having to fight
a battle to get them to make special arrangements to turn off
VAD/Silence in their equipment. Most won't.

RFC3389 states that G729 Annex B supports VAD/DTX/CNG but Digium's 729
is based off annex A; and again, they don't have plans to update it.

Is there anyone out there with news on VAD/Silence support in Asterisk?

Thanks,
Matthew