[Asterisk-Users] bandwidth cosume - iax

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Tue Jul 19 06:36:44 MST 2005

Wendell Almeida Silva wrote:

>When I'm connected with two clients in the same LAN of the asterisk server
> using the same codec and the IAX protocol, I have no media passing through
> the asterisk.

That is because IAX has a SIP-like reinvite mechanism. So by default,
whenever it can, asterisk will step out of the media path which is a
good thing unless you want to bill for the call.

You can use notransfer=yes in your iax.conf to change this behavior.

> But, when these clients are on the Internet, all the media
> flow pass through the asterisk server. Is that way that it works? I can't
> see what is the difference.

It's probably because your two clients are behind NAT routers, which
unless you do port forwarding forces all traffic to go trough your
asterisk box which is on the net.