[Asterisk-Users] Difference between Asterisk and Asterisk@home

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon Jul 18 00:40:40 MST 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>>	I should be releasing a much improved Live version of AstLinux
>>	within a week or so.  A test version was announced on my mailing list a
>>while ago, with pretty good results so far.  It will be AstLinux 0.2.8, and
>>available as an ISO (as well as the Windows install package, disk
>>images, etc.)  I'll let everyone here know when it's released.
>

> This was actually the ifrst one I tried.
>
> I tried astlinux 0.2.6 as well, however as a "live CD" it wasn't useful,
> because I could not write any modified configuration on the live /etc .
> Thus I could not run asterisk with the modified configuration without a
> proper installation.

	Not quite...  By default, AstLinux (and the live cd) will copy a
default Asterisk configuration to a tmpfs filesystem where you can edit
it, you just can't save it anywhere (persistent across reboot) unless
you use a key disk.  /etc/asterisk is in fact just a link to
/tmp/etc/asterisk.  Did you actually try to write a file in
/etc/asterisk, or did you see that / was read-only and give up?  Did you
read the user guide?

	However, the main changes with the 0.2.7 and later ISO image are that
the CD device is auto detected and the entire contents of the CD are
copied to RAM so that the configuration files can be edited and the CD
can be removed, that should make it more of a familiar "live cd"
environment.

--
Kristian Kielhofner