[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 firmware upgrade promblems

Michael J. Tubby G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 10:06:10 MST 2005

All,

The thorny old issue of upgrading 7940/7960s again... here's the abridged
version
of the info I've produced before:

a) Cisco's documentation is buggy - and I've told them!

b) You don't need an OS79XX.TXT if you use my upgrade route

c) I recommend that you upgrade a 7940/7960 which is in an unknown state
    to SCCP/Skinny version P00306000100 ie. 6.0(1) first then then over to
    the version of SIP you want, eg. 7.5(0) which is now current. This
approach
    gets all the right bits in place for signed binary support and minimises
the
    number of flash loads you need (and saves time :o)

d) attached is a little program (phonecfg.c) which is 70% documentation 30%
code
    read it, and use it, for an easy life... do the following:

        - put relevant files and the program in your TFTP boot directory

        - make an XML config file for SCCP operation:

                    ./phonecfg -c <macaddress>

        - boot the phone and watch it upgrade

        - make an XML config file for SIP operation

                    ./phonecfg -s <macaddress>

        - boot the phone and watch it upgrade

I worked out what is _really_ going on using TCP dump and fixed it from
the ground up, rather than relying on buggy documentation.  This approach
"works for me"(tm) and will probably work for you too.

Regards

Mike