[Asterisk-Users] Re: Any Ideas??? 3rd time posting => Sipura SIP Phones Multi-Line

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Jul 16 14:20:33 MST 2005

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:

> Steve Gladden wrote:
>
>> Still looking for some direction with this subject:
>>
>> I think the term is called multi-line appearance....
>> Is this something that is directly supported in Asterisk?
>> I can't seem to find any information on it or how to actually use it....
>>
>> This is where you have several sipura-841 SIP phones for example... if
>> someone pickes up 'line1' I'd like the light to come on on ALL
>> phones to indicate someone is using 'line 1' and they should NOT be able
>> to pick up 'line 1' so long as that 'line1' is in use by another phone.
>>

> You are trying to emulate a key system, Asterisk is a PBX. I don't you
> will get this done as there is no concept of lines, all phones are
> extensions.

Well, not exactly
What he wants is reasonable and very common these days and is considered
a hybrid PBX.
Users want buttons and lights. They want key system operation with their
PBX. Such systems have been around since telephone systems went from
relays to electronics in the mid to late 70's
The old concept of a PBX with  extensions that were single line is long
gone. Single line phones with dialing of codes is not easy to use. If it
isn't easy to use there will be hell to pay. And in the PBX world an
extension IS a line. Connections to the PSTN are called trunks. The
terms "line", "station", and "trunk" are quite often mixed and misused .
The 841 has a "shared"option in it's setup for each button , so it is
probably is possible with SIP in some way.
If Asterisk can't do it, then he will need to find another system that
will, but it is certainly not an unreasonable request or feature to have
if a system is to have a hope of success.

John  Novack