[Asterisk-Users] How to 'read' ztmonitor and set gains

Chris Coulthurst asterisk at shuksan.com
Fri Jul 15 20:44:27 MST 2005

Being one the many people trying to track down echo 'ghosts' I ran across
this page:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/071301.html
suggesting ways to adjust the gain.  I have a TDM400P 2x2 config with
Kewlstart lines configured.  I've located a local telco milliwatt test line,
and when I call it, the gain numbers are no where near 14844.  Now, this
article refers to configuration with a channel bank, but suggests it would
be similar on 'simpler equipment'.

The numbers I get are around 4450 on the Rx.

[root at morse zaptel]# ./ztmonitor 5 -vv

Visual Audio Levels.
--------------------
 Use zapata.conf file to adjust the gains if needed.

( # = Audio Level  * = Max Audio Hit )
Rx:  4452 ( 4452) Tx:    46 (   63)

Is this good? Normal? Any suggestions, or a point in the right direction for
the right documentation would be appreciated.

P.S. This is CVS-HEAD Zaptel on a P3 550, Host bridge: Intel Corp.
440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 3)

Chris Coulthurst
chris at shuksan.com