[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Thu Jul 14 08:54:45 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 11:20 -0400, Ed Pastore wrote:
> But currently, I only have one ethernet jack per office. Routing
> another 60 or so ports would add a very substantial expense in both
> cabling and backbone expansion (what category ethernet is required,
> BTW?).

Use a phone like the polycom IP301/501/600 which has a built-in 2 port
10/100 switch. ie, take the existing cable and plug it into the phone,
then take a second cable, connect one end to the phone, and the other to
your PC. No need for any additional major investment....

> My ComDial routes over what appears to be 4-wire phone wire RJ-
> whatever... 11? 45? I get those confused. Anyway, are those wires
> acceptable? What do you folks do in a situation like mine?

That is likely RJ11 connections, using cat3 cable... (ie, standard
telephony cable)... Apparently you can run 10Mbps over cat3, but it has
been said that it isn't the best thing to try and do (I've never done
it, nor do I know much about this stuff).

> And is there any chance in hell I could use my ComDial DigiTech 7700
> phones with Asterisk? I assume that's right out, but might as well
> ask....

Well, there might be some way you could add a PRI connection from
asterisk to your comdial system, then configure your comdial system so
that all 'special' service numbers, and external calls are routed to
asterisk... Then there is probably a big battle to try and configure
everything to forward to the right system to support all the features
you want from asterisk etc.. (ie, there must be a reason you are
thinking of replacing the existing system?).

The short answer is no  :) or get a consultant in to talk to you...

Mainly you should take note of the first answer above about VoIP phones
with dual ethernet switch... I think that is what you are looking for...

Regards,
Adam
Adam Goryachev
Website Managers