[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Ed Pastore epastore at ascp.com
Thu Jul 14 08:20:49 MST 2005

Thanks for all the great help! I finally feel a little grounded when
thinking about this stuff... at least enough to put a ballpark figure
on my budget, anyway.

But as I think about it a little more, one huge question appears to
me... do I need to massively expand my network?

I had suggested that I would like to use soft phones on my Macs, and
several people here (and elsewhere) have mentioned that that
technology isn't really ready for primetime... not for serious
business applications anyway.

But currently, I only have one ethernet jack per office. Routing
another 60 or so ports would add a very substantial expense in both
cabling and backbone expansion (what category ethernet is required,
BTW?).

My ComDial routes over what appears to be 4-wire phone wire RJ-
whatever... 11? 45? I get those confused. Anyway, are those wires
acceptable? What do you folks do in a situation like mine?

And is there any chance in hell I could use my ComDial DigiTech 7700
phones with Asterisk? I assume that's right out, but might as well
ask....