[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Wed Jul 13 11:35:13 MST 2005

Ed,

1.) I would suggest that you purchase a system from a Vendor, or that
you use Asterisk at Home. That would allow you a much less steep
learning curve before you get to a working system, and it would
provide you with all of the features that you are likely to ever want.
2.) I suggest that you use the existing incoming PSTN lines for your
asterisk system. However, you might want to work with someone who
really understands telecom to make sure that you aren't wasting money
on your phone/data service.
3.) You are mostly right with your assumptions on what you will need.
You will need a server, correctly sized for your call volume, a good
network, incoming PSTN service and an interface device to make it work.
4.) VOIP phones or software. Most people on the list seriously
recommend using hardphones instead of softphones in an office
environment. There have been numerous complaints about softphones and
sound quality, etc. on this list.

As for your questions:
- Asterisk is what routes between the PSTN and the internet. However,
to receive calls from the internet without an incoming phone line,
you will need an internet phone provider.
- Your network does not need to be VOIP capable, but implementing QOS
is a good idea, and  POE for hardphones is often a good idea, too.
- For a T1, your needs are very much going to depend on your call
volume. Your Telco should privide the equipment that will split your
voice channels from your data channels.
- using an experienced vendor might very well be a good idea, but it
all depends on your desire to climb the learning curve and deal with
the mishaps that will inevitably arise. Also, it depends on how
essential your phone system is and how much you can afford to have
"Oops" moments, etc.
- you seem to be asking the right questions. For budgeting purposes,
I would suggest that you seriously plan on using hardphones, and
budget accordingly. They are far superior when compared to softphones
(in general), and remember that you most likely will get what you pay
for. I suggest Cisco 7940G if you can afford them, they are
excellent. Polycom is good, too, and Snom.

Please drop me a line off-list if you want to chat, I'd be happy to
provide input.

Tom Rymes