[Asterisk-Users] Systems Admin; Telecom Newbie - What do I need?

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 15:30:43 MST 2005

inline

On 7/12/2005, "Ed Pastore" <EPastore at ascp.com> wrote:

>Hi, folks. I am planning on implementing Asterisk in 2006, and need
>to budget for it now, so I need to know what I'll need to get. My
>company has about 50 users, and is currently languishing on a very
>old Comdial PBX. All of our client computers are Macs; our servers
>are mostly OS X, with a couple Debians and a Red Hat.
>
>I am thoroughly experienced at systems administration, and can figure
>out most everything I need on the computer hardware and software
>side, but I am a complete telecom newbie and get lost when trying to
>figure out what else I will need.
>
>Here's what I think I need:
>- A server, running Debian Linux or OS X (our preferred operating
>systems here)
>- A good network. We're on switched 100 Base-T, but will move to
>gigabit next year.
>- A T1 or some dedicated channels of a T1
>- Gateway PCI cards or devices (in the case of OS X, only devices I
>guess)
>- VOIP phones or phone software (I'd like to use software and USB
>handsets)
>
>Here's what I don't get:
>
>1. How do I route between the internet and the telco network? (I said
>I was a telecom newbie, right?) I mean, if someone dials a phone
>number, what tells it to route to my gateway device? Do I need
>service from a telecom company? I need to get the phone numbers from
>somewhere, right?

need itsp, someone who can handle sip/h323/iax traffic lots of them
about, then take ur traffic which u send out on IP and do the
termination. You can setup your own gateways in countries where u may
have alot of traffic..but in ur case I think thats overkill

>2. Does my network need to be VOIP capable? I see some network
>switches which route additional layers of ethernet, including in some
>cases VOIP. Do I really need that? Or will any gigabit switches do
>the trick? If so, what's up with those VOIP switches? Is that just
>marketing? They sure cost a lot more.

Nope, as long as it can do IP it shouldnt really need nething else. You
might want to look at routers which can do QoS so that ur voip packets
can get priority

>3. What do I need in a T1? I currently have one T1 from Sprint, going
>into a Cisco router, which then goes to my firewall, then to my
>network. If I want, say 30 channels of another T1 for VOIP... can I
>just buy another Sprint T1? And where does additional hardware fit
>into that route in order to split out the VOIP channels from the data
>channels?

USA setup not aware of, but in short all you need is something to replace
you inbound "pstn" lines, this can be analogue or digital, which one
itr is wil determine the cards you have in your asterisk box

>4. Do I pretty much need a vendor for implementation help, if this is
>all new to me? Or is there a path I can follow that will help me get
>through this?

get urself asterisk at home, get a card from digium (or the other
providers), get a analogue telephone line, play with it for a few weeks,
and then look at rolling out ur full setup

>5. What am I not asking that I should be? :)

probably lots, but set up the basics and then the questions will follow
like a ranging flood.

Iqbal