[Asterisk-Users] Returning values from macro inside Dial command

Moore James james_in_pacific_beach at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 11:15:19 MST 2005

I'd like to set some variables inside the macro called
from Dial().  As far as I can tell, though, if you
just do a SetVar inside the macro, it's set in a
different context and isn't available to the code that
calls the macro.

Am I missing something?  What's the right way to
return data from the macro call?  (Other than the
MACRO_RESULT feature.)

I'm using the Dial(x&y&z|M(foobar)) feature to dial
several extensions at once, and I need some
information back that will tell me which of the
extensions answered the call.  (In this case, it's
easy to answer the call on an extension but to do
something that will set MACRO_RESULT to something like
BUSY.  I'd like to run through the Dial call again
without the number that returned BUSY, but it's not
straightforward to return what that number was.)

Workaround is to use global variables, but that seems
less than optimal.

 - James