[Asterisk-Users] G729 - What versions can Asterisk support?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jul 11 16:45:44 MST 2005

Tim Karl wrote:

> I'm trying to find out if Asterisk will support plain G729 or G729b.
> I've read all over that it supports G729, but I can't seem to find any
> explicit remarks regarding the specific versions of the codec Asterisk
> will support.  I noticed that Digium allows Asterisk users to register
> and download G729a, but refers to it as G729 on it's pages. I also
> noticed that on Digium's ftp site (ftp.digium.com), there is a sub
> directory called "old-voiceage" that contains the G729b codec. Our
> company is looking to use the G729 or G729b version because they believe
> it will produce better quality sound than the G729a version. If that is
> true, should I use the version of the coded found on Digium's ftp site
> in the /pub/asterisk/g729/old-voiceage/ directory and register via
> Digium's online Yahoo store? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G.729 and G.729a produce identical sound streams; they only differ in
the complexity (and speed) of the implementation.

G.729b and G.729ab include silence suppression, which Asterisk does not
support. Peers that also support G.729b/ab need to be configured with
silence suppression disabled when used with Asterisk.