[Asterisk-Users] G729 - What versions can Asterisk support?

Tim Karl tkarl at imminc.com
Mon Jul 11 15:37:12 MST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if Asterisk will support plain G729 or G729b.
I've read all over that it supports G729, but I can't seem to find any
explicit remarks regarding the specific versions of the codec Asterisk
will support.  I noticed that Digium allows Asterisk users to register
and download G729a, but refers to it as G729 on it's pages. I also
noticed that on Digium's ftp site (ftp.digium.com), there is a sub
directory called "old-voiceage" that contains the G729b codec. Our
company is looking to use the G729 or G729b version because they believe
it will produce better quality sound than the G729a version. If that is
true, should I use the version of the coded found on Digium's ftp site
in the /pub/asterisk/g729/old-voiceage/ directory and register via
Digium's online Yahoo store? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance :)

--Timothy Karl