[Asterisk-Users] IAXphone -> ip address -> extension number.

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Jul 10 09:16:02 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>>If you don't mind, can you explain me a little more the ztcfg problem. My
>>>experience with that is null, but I need to setup a box for testing purposes
>>>only, and I don't want to but a TDM card only for make it work.
>>>
>>>I know people that has asterisk running on SIP that don't use zaptel &
>>>Zapata just they do sip also to their provider (which is not my my case) but
>>>I never did that.
>>>
>>>So I plan to install it with Ztdummy on top of FC2.
>>>

>FWIW, I've been running asterisk on a RHv9 laptop (for client demo
>purposes), connecting it via iax to our office system, and never
>worried about ztdummy, etc. Obviously, the laptop has no zap cards.
>This demo never includes meetme, etc.

I'm not actually surprised. In the Makefile you'll see somewhere around
line 61 that ztdummy is commented out and, if you *want* ztdummy, you
should remove the "#" before running make linux26.
However, if you follow through the use of the variable names, you will
see that ztdummy is suffiex anyway so whether you comment it in or out,
ztdummy gets compiled.
It would me interesting to do an "lsmod | grep z" on your laptop to see
if zaptel & ztdummy are loaded.

>I also have a backup system (to our office system) running RHv9, and
>it connects and functions just fine to the primary office system
>via iax. Sip phones work fine on this backup system as well.
>
>That backup system was just recently replaced with an FC3 system, and
>I have no doubt whatsoever it will function just fine without zap
>cards although that system has not yet been configured or tested.
>
>So, don't be too concerned with making ztdummy (etc) function unless
>you truly want to support those asterisk apps that need it (eg, meetme
>and whatever else the wiki points out).

(I seem to remember IAX needed timing, which is why I was on the ztdummy
mission - no cards in my testbox either.)

Gotta bounce - chat tomorrow.

Cheers,
Zoltan