[Asterisk-Users] Cepstral

John Millican john at millican.us
Sun Jul 10 06:26:58 MST 2005

> > what I can't find is how to buy or get Swift?  If I understand
> > correctly, swift is the actual program that makes the speech?
>
> IIRC, you can download everything you need to make the thing talk,
> including a voice like "David". It works exactly like it will when you
> buy a license except there is some kind of crippling until you install
> the license key. I don't remember if this is a statement made by the
> voice each time or a time out.
>
> FWIW? I bought that voice and I find it amusing, but not ready for
> prime time. I had it read articles from a publication and it was
> ludicrous.  I can understand the people talking about ATT, I think I
> heard a demo that was very convincing.
>
> So much depends on what you are trying to do. I just wanted to have a
> way to allow asterisk to talk in a demo, to show the concept.
> Unfortunately, showing a talking server with Cepestral's David is
> little like showing a prototype website: people don't always have the
> imagination (like we all do here :)  to see what this would be like
> when actually done (or using a better voice in this case).

I have the emily voice and she sounds much like the marine weather station
reports.  the crippling is just a message that says it is an unregistered
version or the like. Yes you can absolutely tell that it is speech synthesis
but it is understandable.  You can fiddle with the settings, in the readme
this is explained, and make it sound a little better.
John M