[Asterisk-Users] How do you handle NAT?

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Fri Jul 8 07:09:05 MST 2005

Sebastian Silva wrote:

> Also, INSTEAD of NAT, you can use a STUN server. To use a STUN server
> you should set asterisk to "canreinvite=no", "qualify=no" and "nat=0"
> (the STUN configuration is in your agents).

That won't work because STUN doesn't do the Keep-Alive which is
necessary when traversing a NAT with low cache timeouts.

I setup several phones to use STUN and removed the qualify. I placed a
call to the phone and it worked. I waited about 20 min and placed
another call and it didn't go thru presumably because the NAT router
lost its cache.

-Matthew