[Asterisk-Users] experience with analog channel banks in E1 land

Frank Sautter asterisk at sautter.com
Thu Jul 7 02:27:05 MST 2005

hi,

we are currently planning are large site which will migrate from an old
siemens hicom pbx to asterisk.
it will be a slow migration, the asterisk server will be inserted
between the telco E1 and the hicom. new phones will be sip ones.

the customer has several fax machines and analog phones (some of them
have to be explosion-proof). around 50 analog ports in total are needed.
as we are in E1 land (germany) we have 64kpbs per channel. most
(affordable) channels banks are T1 (56kpbs per channel i assume).
the questions are:
- could the T1 channelbanks be connected to a TE405P with two channels
in E1 mode (telco and hicom pbx) and two channels to the channel banks
(i think yes, but just to be shure)?
- will the faxmachines work (56kpbs-64kbps)? is asterisk translating
this (btw. how do faxes work from europe to north america - the telcos
have the same problem)?
- which signalling protocoll will be used on the T1 side? is asterisk
translating this correctly?
- btw. where is the different bitrate coming from? is it 7bit T1 and
8bit E1 or 7kHz and 8kHz sample rate?

regards
  frank sautter