[Asterisk-Users] Not MRTG, what about ARGUS?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Jul 6 23:56:15 MST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:32:11PM -0400, Carlos Alperin wrote:
> That sound like the Spanish TV Show. Is a similar of MRTG?
>
> If that is the case, the problem is the SNMP module for Asterisk.

Why use snmp? you don't weant to minitor asterisk's snmp. You want to
monitor Asterisk. Either poll asterisk's voip ports (sip/iax/whatever)
to ping it, or use the manager interface if allowed. The manager
interface gives you a nice TCP port.

MRTG uses SNMP for routers. Alternatively, it can use any script that
returns a simple 4-lines output. See the the mrtg-contrib directory for
details. 'asterisk -rx' can be used to generate output (after filtering
out verbose/debug). What numbers exactly do you want to get?

> It was made for use with UCD-SNMP, not for NET-SNMP. And my platforms are
> all RH-9. That is why I never was able to made it work.

ucd-snmp was renamed to net-snmp on version 5, I believe.

> Then, tired to look for a miracle I decide to try ARGUS, which suppose to
> bring the module for Asterisk by default. And guess what?
>
> Argus support list told me today: Oh, we never was able to make it work with
> Asterisk....
>
> If works, I can install BIG FATHER if I need too.

Big Brother is a non-free program, and as a result is pain to install.

Still, you have to admire their choice of port numbers.