[Asterisk-Users] How does Vonage support fax machines?

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Tue Jul 5 08:09:25 MST 2005

Deon wrote:
> My boss is insisting we support fax, and I keep telling him that Fax over
> IP is very unreliable and not recommended and his immediate come-back is
> "Vonage does it." and it's very hard to figure out how.

Just because 'Vonage does it' doesn't mean its reliable. In fact, I've
heard it is very un-reliable. Just because someone says they do it
doesn't mean they do it well.

Our solution is to use a T38 ATA (www.azatel.com) and a Cisco 5300
(which supports T38). The call goes thru asterisk as G711 but when it
hits the 5300, it becomes T38.

So far, this works well for us.

-Matthew