[Asterisk-Users] Weird ring back

dbruce dbruce at bananatel.ca
Mon Jul 4 13:22:27 MST 2005

The weird ring back is a symptom of a problem with SIP message
syncronization (the equivilent of PSTN glare).

1) phone sends INVITE
2) * accepts the call, sends appropriate progress messages, then a 200 OK
3) the conversation proceeds
4) the caller and callee hangs up
5) * sends a BYE to the phone and the phone sends a BYE to *
6) The phone, because it is busy sending a signalling message, delays
processing the received BYE message.
7) * resends the BYE, as it has not received an ACK (has not yet sent an OK
to the phones BYE or stopped the RTP stream)
8) the phone, which is now "on hook", receives the new BYE and the RTP.
9) The phone, still receiving RTP on a call with an unacknowledged BYE, has
no audio device to output the received audio, so it reestablishes its audio
path by ringing.
10) by the time the phone is answered, * has stopped the RTP stream and
destroyed the call, and the state of the phone is out of sync.
11) The answered call is DEAD... The phone thinks that there is a call but
the call no longer exists or is handled by *.