[Asterisk-Users] hidecallerid on analog line

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sat Jul 2 20:06:01 MST 2005

chawki hammoud wrote:

>In the ISDN case, setcallerid or hidecallerid can be
>configured and I am aware that  Asterisk doesn't
>support that on analog line. My question is whethere
>there is something like add-on script or hardware that
>will do the job. The teleco company provide the
>callerid service, but no private number service.

If I understand the signalling architecture correctly, if your telco
does not provide the service, you are out of luck.

A quick explenation:  ISDN (PRI for the purpose of this example) uses
out of band signalling to provide what is essentially a trunk line plus
a signalling channel to your PBX.  Basically one of the DS0 channels on
the T1 is used for signalling and called the D channel (while your voice
DS0's are called B channels).

Analog lines are completely different.  In general, very little if any
signalling is expected to be carried over an analog line.  Therefore,
the advanced signalling capabilities that ISDN offer are unavailable on
analog simply because the telco architecture doesn't support it.
Basically, in this case, *all* caller-id data originates from the
telco's switch.  The only way to suppress this information is to tell
the switch to suppress it.  Unless they offer such a service (prefixing
the number with something, for example, to activate it), you have no
access to the system.  In this case there is nothing you can add to make
this work.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting