[Asterisk-Users] Re: passing through MWI info from SBC

Mike Myers mikesm559 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 14:34:04 MST 2005

Jon Radon wrote:

>Woah woah woah.. why not just disable SBC voicemail
>and have asterisk
>handle it?  I don't understand why you would go to
>such great lengths
>when you can just have Asterisk deal with it.

Jon, etc..., the issue here is her family all uses
special features of SBC voicemail.  E.g. Her mom
leaves a VM for my wife at 10:30 PM after the baby is
asleep without fear of ringing the phones and possibly
waking up the baby.  They use it like email.  They
sign in and create messages, and even send a message
to multiple recipients, all without ever ringing the
phone.  When a VM is recieved the destination party's
MWI lights and whenever this is detected, they dail
the SBC VM and listen to the message, reply, etc...

Since SBC VM doesn't network with Asterisk or anyone
else, I need to find a way of passing the MWI info
from the SBC line to the handsets in the house, else
my wife won't know the she has VM from her family, and
then the whole system breaks down.

As I said before, everyone in her family has SBC VM.
Anytime one of the husbands moved someone off of SBC,
they were back in less than a week after realizing it
broke how the family used voicemail.

I can't get my wife off of SBC VM and onto Asterisk
without moving everyone else off, which is very hard,
and then I'd have to do training and answer any
complaints, etc...

So that's why I need to be able to have asterisk
detect  a message waiting on the SBC VM system and
display it.  Unless I can be backward compatible with
the current analog phone system we have, the whole
asterisk project will be nixed, and I'll have to go
buy some more Venture handsets to replace the broken
ones.  :-(

Thanks,
Mike