[Asterisk-Users] passing through MWI info from SBC

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Sat Jul 2 08:24:31 MST 2005

Because in most cases, the POTS provider will not disable voicemail on a
per number basis as it is a part of the 'package'. So there really isn't
an option to do that.

The other issue is that with call waiting, if you do not answer the call
there is no way to have Asterisk handle the voicemail. So here is where
you would still need the pass through in order for the subscriber to
know there was a message.

For me, I just got a $5 per month DID and forwarded all my POTS call to
it. I get up to two simultaneous incoming calls that Asterisk handles
completely. It also includes a voicemail system where if my connection
goes down or I exceed those two calls, then if someone leave a message,
it gets emailed to me. The other benefit is that I still have my POTS
line and use it for all my local outgoing calls and use a 1.3 cent per
minute provider for all LD calls and I still save money by not spending
that extra $20 a month for unlimited LD on my POTS line.

Has worked great so far. Only down side is if my DID connection drops, I
have no way to call into the house. But, I just use the cell to call the
wife in that case.