[Asterisk-Users] passing through MWI info from SBC

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Jul 1 18:47:00 MST 2005

Chris Gamble wrote:

>Does this just sound worse than it is?
>

>>>"With SBC you are out of luck, since Asterisk doesn't detect dialtone  (it dials blind, sometimes too quickly for the CO to catch the first digit, resulting in wrong numbers )) or stutter dialtone either, and reportedly has had any indication of the DC status of a POTS line removed due to problems."

IF one is working only in the VOIP/SIP/IAX world, then it matters not, but
IF one has to construct a working interface with  analog lines, either
PSTN or PBX, then it is probably even worse than it sounds
Someone along the way didn't bother to do their homework, or learn much
from even the simple modem interfaces of the last 15-20 years.
There is no excuse for not listening for dialtone, resulting in blind
dialing , forcing waits( w) to be inserted into the dial string, an
imprecise cure at best.
Many need to migrate from POTS in stages, for many reasons, so to sluff
off this interface  certainly doesn't help acceptance for Asterisk.

As to FSK MW indication, I would like to learn more.
Is this an expansion of the Bell 202 modem CallerID communication, or
something entirely different.
That would solve one problem for some, where it is provided by the telco.

John Novack