[Asterisk-Users] Cisco phones config over internet

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Mon Jan 31 14:46:08 MST 2005

Brian M. Arlinghaus wrote:
> Martin,
>
> In the 7960s (my firmware is P0S3-07-3-00), you can press "settings" and
> then #9 to unlock the phone.  From the settings menu, #3 will take you
> into Network Configuration.  Near the bottom (#25), you must disable
> DHCP and Save.  Then, from within the Network Configuration menu, you
> can manually enter the TFTP server (#7).
>
> BTW, what are the potential difficulties with someone seeing the config
> files?

I wouldn't want the customer to see the clear-text password in the
config files.  I would want to lock the phone to prevent the customer
mucking-up the configuration.

On another note... When I observe the activity LEDs for a VPN circuit,
it seems to be going full blast without and activity at either end
point.  Can anyone discuss the bandwidth overhead of a VPN circuit?

Thanks,