[Asterisk-Users] Cisco phones config over internet

Martin Roy mroy at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 13:46:48 MST 2005

I saw a previous post about this problem but no one seems to have a real
solution for it...

I have a few Cisco IP Phones 7960 that I want to install at remote
locations. I can easily setup my router to forward the ports of Asterisk
BUT I don't want to open my TFTP server over the Internet as all the SIP
configs are in clear text...

I was first of all considering making VPN connection between my main
office and the remote locations but that's fine if I have VPN routers on
both side. But if someone use a phone at home and they have no router or
cheap ones I'm stuck... I won't ask everyone to purchase a VPN Router
just to have the phone working.

I know I could open a second TFTP server just for the few phones that
are not on my network and leave the Name, Authentification Name and
password empty in the SIP config file and add it manually on each phones
but I would still need to provide the SIP firmware and all the other
files open on the internet...

In the Cisco phone I don't even see a way to change the default TFTP
port but even that solution doesn't seem good enough...

Anyone having a working setup?

Thanks

Martin