[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream stops working after "Register Expiration" period has passed (dynamic registration)

Andrew Braae abraae at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:13:41 MST 2005

I was hoping someone can help with a problem with my GrandStream
Budgetone "hanging" after a while.

Problem seems related to the SIP registration - I am using dynamic
registration (host=dynamic in sip.conf). Static IP is not an option in
my case.

I start Asterisk and all is groovy, phone works fine and can dial
around. Then, at the time specified on the phone in the "Register
Expiration" parameter on the Grandstream (I have tried values of
1 minute and one hour), the phone loses dialtone - presumably it
has become unregistered in some way. At this stage, nothing I
do - booting the phone, reloading or restarting Asterisk - repairs
the situation. I get ominous messages from Asterisk such as this
(and others):

Jan 31 19:58:09 WARNING[6627]: chan_sip.c:728 retrans_pkt: Maximum
retries exceeded on call 6e7fd8a2207dae89674e5a093a4f9d5f at 10.1.1.7 for
seqno 102 (Non-critical Request)

It is almost like the IP address itself is poisoned in some way - I
say this because if I give the phone a new address and extension (each
time I reboot the phone, DHCP gives it a new IP address - not sure why
this is, but thats another problem) - this seems to reset the problem.
Well at least I can now restart Asterisk and the phone works again -
until the timeout. Sadly I am out of IPs now so can make little
progress :)

Many thanks in advance for any assistance,

Andrew