[Asterisk-Users] asterisk tries to dial out on lines already in use.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jan 30 15:13:40 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 13:40 -0600, Jon Gabrielson wrote:
> Can't asterisk look for a dialtone?  Even a $5 modem
> can detect whether or not there is a dialtone.

Maybe you should just use your $5 modem and write your own software.

Asterisk is a PBX. PBXs shouldn't have to deal with your bastardized
setup that doesn't respect the normal way in which a PBX is set up. A
PBX sits between the PSTN and ALL other access to the PSTN. In doing so,
asterisk can know ahead of time that the line is available. If you wait
for dialtone detection, then you have to also make code to understand
all international dialtones as well. Then you have to delay dial till
you are certain it is the tone you are expecting.