[Asterisk-Users] Newbie

Jeff Konrade-Helm jeff.konrade-helm at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 13:51:25 MST 2005

Hello,
I am new here. I am also somewhat new to telephony and IT, however, I am
technically adept.

I work for a small but growing non-profit in Colorado and I wear many hats.
Because I am the only one who has a clue about computers, I am the default
IT person.

Our communications needs are growing and we are checking out phone system --
particularly Asterisk. As I understand it, for a relatively low initial
hardware investment (PC, TDM4 card, phones), I can get into this VoIP
system, use it with our current computer network and will have the power and
flexibility of a much more expensive system.

My concern is that I know nothing about Linux or Asterisk. I can
troubleshoot most any problem on Mac or Windows (even networking where I
have little experience) but I fear I will be over my head with this and it
will consume all my time.

I understand there will be a time commitment (more at first and less for
maintenance) but as my primary duties are elsewhere, I cannot afford to put
in too much time on this project.

Finally, my questions:

1) How much time should I expect to become familiar with Linux considering I
am only interested in it at this point for the Asterisk installation
(however, I have been looking for an excuse to learn it)?
2) How much time should I expect it to take for me to configure Asterisk for
a basic installation? Once we have dial-tone and can make/receive calls, I
will add/configure features, voice mail, etc.
3) I know what specs they say to run Asterisk, but realistically, what
minimum specs would you recommend for the PC?
4) How much should I expect to pay initially for the basic hardware (PC,
card, phones, book)? Any recommendations for providers?

Our current phone company is offering us a full, fractional T1 with four
lines for $368/mo and a $250 install with a three-year contract. Does this
sound like a good deal?

I'm hoping I can get the initial installation and configuration done in
30-40 hours over two weekends and a few evenings. Does this sound
reasonable?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jeff
:-j

Jeff Konrade-Helm
Director of Communications and Marketing
Autism Society of Colorado
701 S. Logan St.; Suite 103
Denver, CO 80209-4169
720.214.0794